Sunday 9 November 2014

Is Confederation College The Right College For Me???

How to find the right college for you

I grew up in SW Ontario for most of my life.  I've tried many different programs in a few schools since graduating high school in the 90's.
I started off with a Hotel & Restaurant Management program which halfway through and decided it was not for me.  Eventually I chose to study as a Medical Office Assistant and graduated with a certificate.  Another few years went by and I looked into Event Management at another college in western Canada where I was living. Later I decided to study Human Resources at another college and earned a certificate. Unfortunately, with the economy being the way it was, and where I lived, jobs were hard to come by so I continued as an office administrator for several companies throughout the years. 
I wanted to do something with my life, to have a purpose and meaning. One day, I decided to quit my job and looked into voluntourism. Voluntourism is a form of tourism in which travellers participate in voluntary work, typically for a charity.
I leaned about eco-tourism and how important it is to our world and people.  I learned about conservation and helping the environment. I experienced eco-tourism in Mexico knew that I wanted to continue with eco-tourism. To do this, I decided to go back to school. 
So I started to research schools around Ontario and across Canada.  I used the ACTA endorsed-full-time-programs link and looked into full-time programs.  I made a spreadsheet of pros and cons and looked into my finances. I narrowed my choices down to two. One in Vancouver was a private college and the other Confederation College in Thunder Bay. This is what sold me -"Tourism and Travel-Adventure and Ecotourism is a distinctive hybrid travel and tourism program, which provides the student with in class training, on-the-job experience via our cooperative education work placement program, utilizes the great outdoors as an ideal environment for practical learning, and gives you the opportunity to experience another culture by travelling abroad."
A lot of people that are at this college are from the surrounding areas, but there are a few of us who have travelled from Southern Ontario to come to what I call the Great White North.
I know I am only in my 3rd month now but I love it.  The teachers (Giannina and Rod) are amazing.  The school is a good place, and Thunder Bay is pretty nice too.  I will be here for 2 years. I do not regret coming here, making new friends, participating in school activities, joining clubs and learning tons.  I love it. I highly recommend it. 
Come visit and see what I see.
Sincerely,
Erin
Halloween - class picture of those who dressed up
ACTA Conference video

No comments:

Post a Comment