Thursday 10 April 2014

Heather Gawley, Wilderness Therapy Instructor - Pine River Institute

My adventure started in September of 2009 when I started in the Tourism - Travel & Eco-Adventure program on a canoe trip in Quetico Provincial Park. I had always been into the outdoors as a kid and thought myself a bit crazy to pursue it as a career.

Heather and co-worker
This program has opened so many doors for me and taught me so many things; I have to thank the instructors for their constant belief in me and their continued support to this day. The Tourism - Travel & Eco-Adventure Program has given me the life I never dreamed was possible. Thank You!


"Adventure is Out There"

During this program we went on many adventures, trips and hikes. Some were planned by the staff and some by the students. We spent weeks at the Nor’West Outdoor Centre near Thunder Bay, giving me the chance to learn different leadership initiatives and group dynamic activities. We learned about Risk Management and Heritage interpretation as well as everything you would need to know to work in the Tourism industry. The teachers worked with me throughout the program to make sure I had all the tools I needed for success in the outdoor industry. They suggested certifications and courses I might want to take to expand my experience in the industry.

I graduated June 2011 and went off into the world to try and make it as an Outdoor Enthusiast. I started small, I worked as a canoe tripper at a summer camp I had worked at in previous years, and migrated from that to a relief position at the Ganaraska Forest Centre in the fall. I spent the winter as a Dog Sled Guide in Algonquin Park and then moved home and worked as a manager at Joyride150 Indoor Bike Park for a year.

I had always thought "no one works in outdoor recreation full-time or as a career" I am now a Full-Time Wilderness Therapy Instructor at Pine River Institute. I work year round in Algonquin Park with youth at risk. It's an amazing adventure and every single day at work is exciting and different. I get the opportunity to take kids out of their Social Media society and teach them the truly amazing things the outdoors can do for your soul. Every night I go to sleep in a sleeping bag with a headlamp in my pocket, and every morning I wake up to the sunrise on the lake.

Heather Gawley


No comments:

Post a Comment